Question
Posted by: Jolie | 2009-07-01

L-CARNITINE INHIBITS THE ABSORPTION OF THYROID HORMONES

Dear Doc

My thyroid was removed in 2003. I am on 0.3g Eltroxin a day. About a month ago I bought L-Carnitine (Megaslim) at Dischem for fat burning assistance. I have gained 5kg even though on a 80% low fat raw food diet.

I could not understand why I gained weight. Luckily I came across an article about the effects of L-Carnitine on thyroid hormones. It stated that L-Carnitine is an antagonist for thyroid hormones thus neutralises the effects / absorption of thyroid hormones in the body.

I am certainly not taking L-Carnitine anymore! I am sad because I only discovered the truth a month after taking it! I am sad that i could have lost weight instead of gaining weight! But I am glad I have discovered the truth today and not later in future!

I just wanted to share this info with everyone taking L-Carnitine while taking thyroid hormones for hypothyroidism.

Jolie

Dear Jolie
Thanks for sharing this with all of us - it is very thoughtful of you.
Kind regards
Bets