Posted by: C | 2009-03-20

Kung Fu

Hi Morne

Any advice on how to improve balance? I know practice, practice, practice, but are there any special exercises that you can suggest? Never knew I had a balance problem until now (just cannot balance properly on my left leg, especially after kicking with right leg- right leg balance no problem).

Also need advice on how to improve leg strength - I can see and feel that my strength has improved a great deal over the past two months, but does the " legs on fire"  feeling ever go away? I really do hate frog sits and bunny hops with a passion.

Expert ImageTai Chi expert

Hi C,

Thank you for your contribution.
There are many 'intelectual' ways on how to improve your leg strength, bunny hops not being one of them as it puts allot of strain on your knee joints and tendons.
Try some of the following activities:
- Cycling
- Uphill and down hill walking
- Double Leg and Single leg squats (not lower than your knees)
- Skipping
- Lunges
- Standing wall squats
- Tai Chi

I will keep the bunny hops to a minimum as the long term results are not good.