Posted by: C | 2009-02-10

Kung Fu

I am a 39 year old female, not very fit, but in shape and quite flexible. After attending a Kung Fu class recently, I decided to join the beginners class. I have been doing this twice a week for the last month and I am completely hooked. Even though 30 mins of the class is pure torture (from my perspective), I enjoy every minute of it and cannot wait for the next class (I also do the training at home at night for an hour 3-4 days a week). I have had painful muscles for the last month, but I have never felt better in my life, I am more confident, energetic and calm and I just feel fantastic!

My question is, do I have to feel awkward or embarrassed about doing this at my age? I think some of my friends and family find it amusing and I get the idea that they think I am doing something totally out of my league. Is there any reason why I should not continue taking these classes?

Expert ImageTai Chi expert

Thank you for contributing to the Tai chi forum.
Let me first say 'WELL DONE' ! People would only have something to say if they are jealous cause they can't do it themselves. Showing the commitment, dedication and discipline you have up to date does not hit home with many people. SO you keep it up girl! I have a wide range of ages training with me from 5 years old to 65 years old. Allot of my students have grandchildren already! As long as you are enjoying what you are doing you will benefit from it. Friends and family can't decide for you what you will enjoy....

Taqke Care - Keep up the good work!