Posted by: C | 2009-02-10

Kung Fu

I am a 39 year old female, not very fit, but in shape and quite flexible. After attending a Kung Fu class recently, I decided to join the beginners class. I have been doing this twice a week for the last month and I am completely hooked. Even though 30 mins of the class is pure torture (from my perspective), I enjoy every minute of it and cannot wait for the next class (I also do the training at home at night for an hour 3-4 days a week). I have had painful muscles for the last month, but I have never felt better in my life, I am more confident, energetic and calm and I just feel fantastic!

My question is, do I have to feel awkward or embarrassed about doing this at my age? I think some of my friends and family find it amusing and I get the idea that they think I am doing something totally out of my league. Is there any reason why I should not continue taking these classes?

hi C

Of course not! I think it's fantastic, you enjoy it, you're learning self-defence, empowering yourself, doing exercise, why bother what they think? Just keep going because you enjoy it?

The question is: Do you feel out of your league? Obviously not, because you love it. So then who is there during training? Them or you? You are, so who cares what they think about being "out of your league"? Just keep doing it, and show them all up. You're on a great journey, don't stop because other people (who don't know anything about it anyway), think it's unusual!

Keep going!