Question
Posted by: What causes endo relief? | 2011-05-20

Koedoe

I was diagnosed with endometriosis stage V. I had laparotomy, zoladex, IVF, ICSI, the list is endless but endo grew again. I had severe pain on my ovaries before and after period. I always felt full on my womb or uterus. Few months ago I started to have brown blood leaking and the pain is better. I think my cyst has raptured and it has helped me a lot because I dont feel bloated and constipated anymore and the pain is not severe as it used to be. My periods have gone back to normal although it still has clots.

Having brown blood every month before and after period, the pain is better, what causes it, what caused this relief?
Questions:

1) During ovulation brown blood disappears, is there a chance to fall pregnant naturally?
2) Is it true that endometriosis can go away on it own?
3) Is it possible to test ovarian reserve?
4) If one become pregnant, does this brown blood disturb implantation or fertilisation of the egg?

Dear What causes endo relief

The natural cause of events or process for endometriosis is that with time there is a tendency for the lesions to “burn out”. Many cases this leads to some relief to symptoms but the sad news is that the scar tissue or residual damage remains unaltered and therefore should there be significant pelvic anatomical distortion this would remain unchanged. The implications for fertility are that despite symptoms improving fertility problem may remain unchanged. The brown discharge is typically associated with endometriosis involving the uterus itself – a condition referred to as adenomyosis. It is true that adenomyomas (cysts of endometriosis which is in the muscle of the uterus) can with time communicate with the cavity of the wall and release the brown/ old blood contained within it. This typically results in the symptoms that you are describing. It is not always easy to be accurate regarding ovarian reserve testing. However it is acceptable that a combination of blood tests including an AMH (anti-mullerian hormone) test together with other ovarian and pituitary hormones as well as a detailed ultrasound scan may give a fairly accurate indication of ovarian reserve. These tests should be done by somebody skilled in evaluating fertility potential.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

1
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2011-05-26

Dear What causes endo relief

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

Reply to Fertility expert