Posted by: D | 2009-05-13

Knees and joints

I was born with a skew ' connection to the knee' , don' t know the various bone names, so please excuse my ignorance. this abnormality results in my knee cap susceptible to moving out of joint mind you just a feather of a touch needed at the ' perfect angle' . So growing up was rather painful. In my adult life it happens rarely, but when it does, I push it back and faint(black out). both knees are affected.

To cut a very long story short, I don' t seem to have knee padding, God forbid I kneel on all fours its the most painful experience, crouching puts huge pressure on my knees, even sitting on my haunches is enought to kill me. My knee caps are still there its the part(padding) below the knee caps that have disappeared basically overtime.

A bit of history, I have been overweight the last ten years and now more so than ever due to giving birth last year, I know weight is weighing me down, I have severe plantar Fasciatus as well, rather excruciating.
I can' t even kneel down to play with my son properly, cos of severe pain, I cannot kneel down at all........oh and my knees are always the coldest part of my body, if its a cold day you can actually feel my cold knees through my clothing.
I can go on and on and on about all the complaints I have, I am prone to blood clotting (factor 5 liden gene) and Have PCOS (polycystic ovaries syndrome)

Could you please lead me in the right direction or recommend anything besides operations.

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear D
I feel for you!
You actually know the answer 1- you really need to lose weight as this is really putting severe pressure on the knee joints and your knees and feet bear the burden of your body. Try a bit of mild exercise like walking and exchange some of the high-fat foods with more veggies and not more than 2 fruits per day. Your weight-loss might be slow, but worth it over time- especially with a baby you want to play with. Your PCOS is probably linked to insulin resistance and I suggest you see a specialist who may start treatment with metformin if necessary. This may actually help with the weight loss.
2. You are probably going to need an operation at some time- do yourself a favour and just go to an orthopaedic surgeon who specialises in knee surgery for an opinion. You can then make an informed decision as to what is necessary.
Hope this helps!

Posted by: Brian | 2009-05-26

My whole body is sore,the gout is eating into my bones in my wrist my feet and has also eaten the tendon off my finger,I have had operations on my elbows to remove the gout (Tophi Elbow) twice. I' m on Puricoss 300mg and I also take colchicine Houde but still suffering,what can I do?

Reply to Brian