Posted by: anna | 2009-05-06

What is a good way to loosen up creaky knees? I am 45 and I do stretches and excercises every eveneing, but I find that my knees don' t warm up as fast as the rest of me, and they hurt if I do squats or lunges. Is there something I can do just for my knees?

Expert ImageArchive

Hello Anna,
Always warm up before stretching which means an optimum 15 minutes cardiovascular exercise (walking, cycling etc). The warmup will loosen off those tight muscles and enable you to stretch productively. If you are not used to exercise try a stationary bike daily for 5minutes. Increasing by 5mins per month each month. This will build up flexibility and muscular support around the knees. Intensity should be moderate and also ensure correct seat height. Focus stretches on calf, hamstring and thigh muscles.

Dr guy ashburner osteopath