Posted by: paula | 2008-12-06

After serious knee pain in both my knees I took the plunge and went to see one of the most reputable knee gurus in CT. My appointment lasted 90 minutes, which sounds impressive untill you realise that the MRI took 89 mins(R2000) and I saw the doctor for what felt like one minute (R300). In this one minuste he explained that my cartlige is damaged (both knees) and that if it were his knees he " would not do anything about them as an operation has a 50% chance of being successful, 40% chance of effecting no change and a 10% chance of making the injuries worse."  I subsequently had to hear from other people that I can take supplements which could help for inflamation and cartlige support - things which have not helped at all and now, 2 weeks after the drs appointment my knees are not just hurting sometimes, they are killing me. I do not know what to do as I thought seeing the " best"  person who deals with national sports people would give me the best advice. I am left utterly confused and despondent...and broke.

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Paula
I suggest you take your MRI and get a second opinion (your right as a patient). Quality of life is very important and constant pain just causes depression etc. Ask your GP to refer you to someone else.