Posted by: Ray | 2011-08-08

Knee tendon problem

I had a heavy fall a week ago and hurt my right knee. Initially my GP sent me for x-rays, then an Ultrsound. Results were as follows:
Soft tissues of rt knee is severely oedematous which severely impairs visualisation of this area &  there is evidence of a haematoma in the prepatellar space.There is no sign of a normal supratellar tendon &  it appears to have been completely transection. The infraspinatus tendon appears to be intact. No obvious effusion within the knee itself is seen. It has been recommended that I go for an MRI scan because of suspected complete transection of the suprapatellar tendon. I will be having the scan this coming Thursday.
Further to this, I suffer from DVT in both my legs and I am permanently on Warfarin.
I would like to know whether I would have to undergo an operation if the MRI scan shows that there has been a transection of the tendon. How safe is it to have an operation whilst on Warfarin?
I would like to have some knowledge so that I am not ''too'' shocked at the surgeon''s answers!!

Expert ImageOrthopaedic Specialist Forum

If you have a rutpure of the suprapatellar tendon it should be repaired. It is common to operate patients on Warfarin - the doctors will stop the Warfarin and put you on alternative treatment to control the risk of further DVT