Question
Posted by: " B"  | 2010/06/18

Knee Replacement

Your advise would be appreciated. My mother is 62 and in desperate need of a knee replacement. However this is not so easy as she suffers from lymphodemia in her legs and therefore she was advised that she will need to have lyposuction before the operation. Plse let me have your opinion as to how safe/risky this might be. Thanks

Expert ImageOrthopaedic Specialist Forum

Liposuction is usually performed to reduce fat and if done by a competent plastic surgeon not very dangerous. Lymphoedema is due to an accumulation of lymph. Edema or swelling of the legs can also be due to heart failure or kidney failure. I trust that all those causes of the leg swelling have been excluded.

2
Posted by: Anna-Mari | 2010/06/23

I had several operations on both my knees. The Orthopaedic Surgeon told me that my cartlidge is very bad. How can I become active as I am scared to do certain things. If I go down, I can''t get up again.

Reply to Anna-Mari
Posted by: Orthopaedic Specialist Forum | 2010/06/20

Reply to Orthopaedic Specialist Forum