Posted by: colman | 2009-03-16

I have been advised by my specialist to have a knee replacement asap. I am not ready yet, and find that because I am walking badly I am putting too much pressure on the other leg. Now the " healthy"  knee feels just as painful as the one needing replacing. Is there any exercise I can do to make my gait better until I am ready for the knee replacement?
Thank you.

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Colman
A bit of a catch twenty two- the longer you wait, the more damage you are going to do to the healthy knee as you are trying to take the pressure off the sore knee. You can ask a physiotherapist for some muscle strengthening exercises that you can do which is not high impact and more passive (doing it while you are sitting or lying down).