Question
Posted by: Roelien | 2011/04/08

Knee problems

I am suffering pain and cartilage problems in my left knee. I am 38 and I sound like a creaking door everytime I do lunges, etc. I am taking msm and wear a knee guard when it is very sore.

What exercises do you recommend to strengthen my knee, and what exercises should I stay away from? Any other tips, advice?

Hi Roelien

You can strengthen the muscles that support and control the knee - that's often very effective, but may not quite be able to overcome cartilage problems. But squats, single-leg squats are helpful, and so are exercises that strengthen the glutes because they take some load off the knee. So you might try to work on that in the gym, if you are there.

You might want to avoid those deep squats (and rather go down halfway only) and also lunges, because that position can affect the knee if there's already some muscle weakness and pain. If an exercise causes pain, best to limit it for now.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2011/04/26

Hi Roelien

Reply to fitnessdoc