Posted by: nicolette | 2011-09-14

Knee Pain/grinding

I''''m a 32 year old woman, I''''m experiencing knee discomfort (left knee). I find that if I bend it, to straighten again is very uncomfortable, it also makes a grinding sound which is painful or uncomfortable.

I have always been very active and early this year was training towards running marathons, I also ride horses once a week. I did ballet and other dance from an early age and danced 6 days a week at one stage in my teens so was extremely active.

After taking a 3 month break from running I decided to do a short 3km jog around the block about a month ago, the knee pain and grinding discomfort seemed to start after this.

My question is firstly what could be the cause, and secondly what king of doctor do I see to get it looked at?

Your advise will be helpful

You will have to consult an orthopaedic surgeon. It is possible that you have injured the cartlidge of your knee joint and that you will need an arthroscopy to evaluate the inside of your knee.