Question
Posted by: Janine | 2008/09/02

Knee Pain (Joint, ligament or muscle?)

Hi Doc, I am 20 years old and earlier this year i started running and in May I managed to build myself up to a 10km race. I did a race in early July and half way through the side of my knee started to hurt and i could hardly walk then near the end of july i tried the 702 Walk the Talk and again i was in a large amount of pain and this was just walking. I have given my running a rest for the last month and now even when i try to do a slow and short run the impact gives the me the same sort of pain that it did a month ago. I need to know if I have hurt a ligament or a bone or what could the problem be because I would like to treat it so that it can heal, Thanks!

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Janine
Please make an appointment with a doctor specialising in sports injuries- this can be a torn ligament or even a small piece of cartiledge floating around and they need to do some x-rays etc to determine where the problem is- I can only speculate about the source of the pain and that will not help you at all- you need to see a doctor.