Posted by: Nellu | 2009-02-17

Knee Pain

I run an accumulative 40kms per week. I have noticed that i sometimes get knee pain after running and it subsides after three/four days. It get sore if I squat or go up or down the stairs...not so much while walking normally. Please advice what could be the cause.

Dear Nellu
It depends where the knee pain is: Pain behind the knee cap can be due to irritation of the knee cap cartilage in the groove of the thigh bone and can be caused by wearing the wrong shoes or worn out shoes ( the up and down movement is disaligned) A biokineticist can check this for you. Pain on the outside of the knee could be Iliotibial Band Syndrome due to overuse - no swelling or locking, may be sporadic and disappear with rest, only to reoccur suddenly, often at the same point in a run. For this you need rest, ice and physiotherapy. Pain deep inside the knee could be due to tendon injuries - this usually causes swelling, sometimes instability.
See also