Question
Posted by: sharon | 2008/08/27

Knee pain

I am a 50 yr old female running distances up to 21.1km. I have been battling with pinched nerve l4 and l5 and shortened and stiff muscles. Have been doing stretching and strength exercises for back and abdominals, I am also doing lunches supported by the wall but experience knee pain even though I am trying to keep my knee going forward over my foot, should I stop this exercise, I would like to strengthen my leg muscles.

Hi Sharon

I think that for now, you should look to avoid activities that cause you pain. There's no pressing need to do these lunges, you can stick with squats and maybe half-lunges - move that end point even further back so that you're nowhere near where you are trying to reach now, and see it helps. Perahps as you develop flexiblity and strength, this will no longer be a problem, and then you can re-introduce them at a later stage.

The other thing, which I suspect you might be doing, is seeing someone about the pinched nerve, because that's the source of the problem and you need to have it sorted out, obviously. Until you do that, there may be many "barriers" that prevent you from doing all the training you could do.

Ross