Posted by: Anton | 2011-05-12

Knee Orthopaedic Surgeon

Hi, I would like to know who is the best knee Orthopaedic surgeon in the Gauteng area?

Kind regards

Expert ImageOrthopaedic Specialist Forum

Dr Ponky Firer

Good day. I must undergo a hip replacement operation but like so many people I don't know who to trust regarding this matter. Some info regarding my problem- I'm 44 yrs old and suffer from osteo condritis dessicans. My hip joint is decreasing and 'grinded' it's way into my pelvis. Left leg is already 2.5cm shorter than my right leg. I am in dire pain and live on pain meds. Edical aid is Glencore medical. Who is contracted on my medical aid? Thank you in advance.

Reply to Anonymous | 3 comments (hide)

Hi, how much was your surgery if I may ask? I'm looking to have one done for my dad. Thanks

Posted by: Been There | 2016-05-31

Dr Chuck at Fourways Life hospital. I had mine done a year ago. Never looked back. The guys brilliant

Posted by: Gavin | 2016-05-24

Definitely Dr Bradley Rabin .. did a double knee replacement on me .. hugely successful and pain free

Can anyone recommend a specialist in oesteoarthritis? Jhb area. Livvy

Posted by: Looking | 2016-03-14

Hi my son had a partial ACL tear to his right knee in March 2013 and did not need surgery then He has now injured his knee and may need surgery who is a good orthopedic surgeon in the Johnnnesburg (Sandton / Fourways ) area?

Reply to Looking

Me too. Van der Plank and his team were great. His anaesthetist Dr Gough was extremely kind and gentle. Staff very good. Highly recommended.

Without a doubt Dr Van der Plank and his dedicated team are amazing . I had a knee replacement and have never looked back. A BIG thank you. I highly recommend him

Hi. Which ortho surgeon would you recommend in the Pretoria area? My son needs a knee op possibly. Thanks Z

Reply to Anonymous | 1 comment (hide)

Dr A Julyan at Pta east he is great!

Posted by: Christa Mey | 2015-11-16

Can anyone recommend an orthopedic surgeon for a total knee replacement in Pretoria east please?

Reply to Christa Mey | 2 comments (hide)

Dr Rian Steyn or Dr Charl Oliveri. At Zuid Afrikaans hospital

Dr. van der Plank at Olivedale Hospital. The best and highly professional.

Posted by: Eric | 2015-10-05

I have a knee problem and have been advised to have a total replacement.. I have seen Dr Mike Barrow and am getting a second opinion from Dr Magobotha. Can anyone give me reports on either or both of these doctors

Reply to Eric
Posted by: Jane | 2015-08-20

Has anyone had a hip replacement by Dr Bradley Rabin, recently

Reply to Jane | 2 comments (hide)
Posted by: Darius | 2015-09-02

Dr Bradley Rabin is an expert in minimally. Invasive hip replacements ( keyhole approach and regular approach). Recovery is remarkably quick. Would highly recommend him.

Posted by: Martin | 2015-08-24

I am needing a hip replacement and am interested in your recomendation. 0727798612

Dr Rob van der Plank and his team are the most amazing in the world. Starting from his receptionist Mandy to his nursing sister Jessica and then his physio terrorism team one can sing doing their praises. The service and attention to detail at Olivedale clinic especially sister Bessa was superb. There is only one thing to say THANK YOU

Dr v d Plank replaced my knee - Amazingly good result -Thanks

I went for a partial knee replacement. I have serious pain behind my knee. Dr says it' Decks can anyone please tell me what this is?

I went to Dr van der Plank complaining of knee problems and pain. After numerous x rays, he asked for ones of my hips - and lo and behold, there was the problem - badly ulcerated and arthritic. I had one done in 2013 and the other done in 2014. Both Dr van der Plank and his team are FANTASTIC. Would recommend him 100 times over. Provided you take his advice and stick to it - "it is not a race" recovery is good and withing the norms after major surgery.

Posted by: kenb | 2015-01-15

hi i have both knee problems i have been advised by my DR to have surgery, there are so many conflicting reports on past experiences i would appreciate chatting with someone who has had knee replacements done recently just to satisfy my fear. thanks.

Reply to kenb

Anyone have any reviews for Dr McDonald in a Sandton clinic, need some work done on my knee?

Reply to Anonymous | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Gordon Heasman | 2015-10-20

Hi my wife wants to see a knee surgeon in Sandton, how did your operation go?

Posted by: Concerned | 2014-11-18

Be careful of Rosebank sports medicine institute , they seem to do a great deal of young chaps for shoulder surgery. Are their indications above board ?

Reply to Concerned

Dr Van der Plank is an absolutely brilliant Orthopaedic surgeon. His results are excellent. Three of my family members have had joint replacements with him and they have done extremely well. Most importantly, he only operates if it is necessary ! There are too many surgeons in Gauteng who operate to enhance their bank balance

Reply to Anonymous | 1 comment (hide)

Grateful information on Dr Van Plank as have been recommended him for repair of a hip replacement

Posted by: gdjoubert | 2014-11-08

had both knees done tnr no problems will go back to him if any knee problems occur dr Ponky Firer linksfield netcare hospital

Reply to gdjoubert
Posted by: JBM | 2014-07-09

How long is the operation to replace a knee, how long do you have to stay in hospital, how long does it take to full recovery so that you can walk normaly?. What is the cost of a knee replacement?

Reply to JBM
Posted by: Sims | 2014-03-01

Hi all, I have torn my ACL Ligament and possible damage to my cartilage, however whos a good Knee Specialists to have my Operation Done... I need help with my decision and also if you can share your experiences with me.. Please comment over here with details, I look forward to all your replies. Regards, Sims

Reply to Sims | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: jethro | 2016-01-23

I need a good knee surgeon in Pretoria

Posted by: Janine | 2014-02-23

Dr Bradley Rabin is the best knee surgeon in Johannesburg by far. He is professional and is an expert in an arthroscopy and knee and hip surgeon. In fact he is one of the only surgeons who specializes the most minimally invasive techniques in surgery. He is involved in the cutting edge surgical technique of using the anterior approach to doing hips also (does the posterior approach too!). I am so impressed with the service that Dr Rabin offers. The rehabilitation is rapid. He practices from Linksfield Park Clinic in Johannesburg.

Reply to Janine | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Physiotherapist | 2014-11-02

Dr Rabin has been amazing. He has fixed my knees- expert in arthroscopy, acl, pcl, mcl and knees. Also, hip surgery- one of the leading anterior approach leaders...Excellent with hand surgery. I have sent many patients to him.Every one of impressed!

Posted by: MvE | 2013-10-18

In July 2013 I was a patient of Dr RH van der Plank. I developed sudden severe knee problems and was admitted. He took me to theatre for an aspiration of both knees and the next day for a Arthroscopy and Debridement. The theatre concent document I signed was for a Arthroscopy and Debridement. I only saw later when I received the Statement that he also did a Meniscectomy, he NEVER discussed it pre-op or post-op with me that he was going to do a Meniscectomy. He removed the disk of cartilage that serves as a cushion between the ends of bones that meet at a joint. Both my knee joints are bone on bone now; the reason for the severe pain and why I can't get of my crutches. In August 2013 I phoned Dr. van der Plank consulting rooms for the 2nd time to inform them I'm still on crutches, cant walk without crutches and I'm in severe pain, I asked to speak to him. I informed Dr. van der Plank and ask if it's normal. He said I must come in for a check-up and X-Rays. He informed me "jou knieë is sat" you need knee replacements. In July 2013 he said my knees are "OK" he does not know why my knees was so swollen .... I was SHOCKED and decide to have a total knee replacement the next week. Dr. van der Plank said he will do the (R) knee 1st. I phoned back and said it must rather be the (L) knee but he/they decided the (R) knee. Luckely our medical aid did not give approval in the short time and I cancelled. If the (R) knee was done I would have to go immediately for the (L) knee, because my (R) knee is/was the strong knee. I've decide to go for a 2nd opinion but had to wait 90 days because of the agreement between orthodedic surgeons. I asked Dr. van der Plank for a letter to inform the surgeon of the procedures his done in theater, he NEVER gave me a letter. I had to show the orthopedic surgeon Dr. van der Plank Statements. Because Dr. van der Plank never informed me of the Meniscectomy post-op and his uncaringness to give a letter for a 2nd opinion I will not go back to him.

Reply to MvE | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Johan Maritz | 2014-07-09

Please could you contact me, I have the same situation with Dr I Cunningham. My e-mail is

Dr Bradley Rabin is an orthopaedic surgeon who runs a successful private independent practice and has done a fellowship under Dr Ponky Firer. He practices from Linksfield Such an incredible surgeon!

Dr Bradley Rabin is amazing!

Posted by: Hobble along | 2011-09-05

Rob van der Plank has just done my knee & mdash - absolutely fantastic as is his team. Competent, professional, caring, knows hi stuff. Olivedale hospital is the place to go, beats Morningside. Don''t bother with Morningside and Sandton as you''ll pay through the nose as well as the parking !

Reply to Hobble along
Posted by: Orthopaedic Specialist Forum | 2011-05-29

Dr Ponky Firer

Reply to Orthopaedic Specialist Forum
Posted by: Ferdie | 2011-05-24

Dr Daan du Plessis at Little Company of Mary in Groenkloof PTA. He is in my opinion one of the best

Reply to Ferdie | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Sim | 2014-03-01

Hi, was your operation by Dr Dan a success, what op did u do...I intend going for my Knee Ligamnet operation but not sure witch dr to do it by..Please advice..thanks in advance

Posted by: Been there | 2011-05-14

Hi. I have had a hip and knee replacement, both very successful and well handled post op. Dr Van der Plank at the Olivedale clinic is fantastic !! The nursing there was also excellent !

Reply to Been there