Question
Posted by: paula | 2008-12-06

knee injury - what exercise

I saw a doctor at the sports science institute recently who - after an MRI - told me that the cartlige in my knees has been damaged. He advised that an operation is not a good idea at this stage as it would probably not help much. I felt quite emotional during this " briefing"  and thus did not ask all the questions I should have, and am subsequently feeling rather confused as to my way forward. I am experiencing severe pain and discomfort - when standing, sitting, ealking or lying down. Pretty much all the time.

I am very active and have a NEED to exercise daily otherwise I could possibly become capable of murdering my family... What exercises can I do - appart from low impact cardio work that is. I want to strengthen the muscles that support my knees.
please help...

Hi Paula

You need to ask that same doctor. I understand that you didn't ask them at the time, but there's no reason why you can't ask now. It's important because that doctor is the one person who knows the problem exactly, I don't. They may even need to be told that you're in such pain. And no doctor would allow you to leave in pain without some idea of what steps to take next. So I really would encourage to contact the doctor again - as a previous patient, you have that right.

Their advice to you should include an idea of what kind of things you can do right now, and what you can expect in coming weeks. There is no value in waiting and not doing anything. So I'd make every effort to see them and have these questions answered.