Question
Posted by: Yolande | 2010-04-16

Knee? injury in boxer

My 2-year boxer female hurt her right hind leg while playing about three months ago. It apparently happened early in the evening during " play time" . About 3 or 4 hours later (after dinner and an evening nap) she stood up with a bit of difficulty and didn''t want to put weight on the leg. I was planning to take her to the vet the next morning, but by then she was walking well again - putting her weight on all four her legs, and only favouring the injured leg when going up stairs, so I decided it was just a sprain or strain and kept her still for a couple of days. Things seemed fine.

However, a few days (maybe a week) later, she was extra exuberant during " play-time"  again, and although she didn''t show any signs of injury during or directly after playing, she limped again later in the evening after her nap. This time she only limped slightly - she was still putting her weight on the leg. The next morning she was fine again. Again I resolved to keep her still for a few days - but with a young boxer this is an almost impossible task.

This patterns has repeated itself several times now. The last time she remained " limp-free"  for about three weeks, and I thought at last the injury is healed. Then she slipped on the wet grass while running around like a mad thing (she is a young boxer after all), and the limp was back again. This last week she had a slight limp in the evening a few hours after " play-time"  about every second night.

She only limps in the evening after playing and then resting for a few hours. Every morning she''s fine again. And although I try to " tame-down"  the play, after a few days her energy just seems to get the better of my good intentions and she runs and jumps around at full speed again - usually causing a re-injury of the leg.

I''ve noticed that the muscles in her left hind leg seems better developed than those in the right leg, so I think she''s favouring her right leg even when she''s not limping.

I haven''t taken her to the vet yet, since she''s usually showing no sign of injury during the hours that the vet is open. What should I do?

Dear Yolande

I suspect that the ligaments in the knee joint is taking a bit of strain. Try to tone done the playing and avoid quick turns or stops. This puts a lot of pressure on the cruciate ligaments. Put her on mobiflex powder for at least four months.

1
Posted by: Cybervet | 2010-04-16

Dear Yolande

Reply to Cybervet