Question
Posted by: Matthew Shaw | 2010-11-04

knee injury

Hi, I had a bkie accident about 3.5 months ago. I sustained no injuries apart from a painful and swollen left knee. I immediately went to casualty and had xrays done and there were no problems with bone.I then after weeks of less movement and activity on the leg still batlled with swelling and restriction of meovement especially when standing as it would create a fluid build up. The build seems to be mainly in the vastus medialis and towards the bottom of the knee cap. It created a restriction in fllexion of the knee and a sharp burning sensation in the vastus medialis area when applying pressure to the muscle with the fingers close to the insertion of the vastus. Or when the knee was bent. I then saw a GP who sent me for a sonar. The sonar came up with no injuries. I have now seen an orthopaedic surgeon who gave me cortisone. This reduced the swelling but not completely and stil there is the same symptoms. I have since been sent for an MRI by the same doctor and it states the following:1. Appears to be a very subtle bone oedema involving the lateral aspect of the lateral tibial plateau region. 2. There is an incidental small bony island seen in the middle of this oedema. 3. There is a type 2 signal (in sun=bstance degeneration) involving both the medial and lateral menisci. 4. All tendons are intact. 5. No osteochondral defects or lesions are noted.
Please could you tell me what would you recommend as treatment for this as this condition has restricted some of my work and general movement. Please could you explain what this all means on the MRI report. What would you suggest? Many thanks.
Matthew

Expert ImageChiroDoc

The indications are all evidence of your injury. Physiotherapy with corrective exercises would be the best present route to follow.