Posted by: Ellen Rossouw | 2012-09-26

Knee injury (12 year old)

My 12year old injured his knee yesterday during sport. he described it as a twisting sensation... I took him to a clinic and was informed that it is probably a sprain of the ligaments and that the best treatment is rest and anti inflammatory medication However, what bothers me is that the swelling is worse and he cannot bend the knee without experiencing pain. Should I take him to my GP asap?

Yes, you should take him to your GP. The swelling can be due to a ligament injury. Your doctor will have to do special tests to evaluate the injury. In the interim, he should rest the knee, apply heat and cold compress, at least 3 to 4 times daily and continue taking the anti-inflammatory medication.