Posted by: steve | 2012-06-07

Knee give in

I am a 55 year old male, weigh 90 kgs, and run about 50 km a week. A couple of times during the last few months I have had a problem with one of my knees. It seems to be fairly common from what I see on the internet, but no solution is given.

A few times (about once a month average) while running my one knee would suddenly give in causing me to loose balance and almost fall to the ground. There is no warning it is going to happen, and absolutely no pain even up to the t immediately preceding the knee give in. After regaining my balance I can continue running as normal, with no problems. During the whole process there is absolutely no pain or swelling etc.

a) what could be the cause of this ?
b) can it be treated / cured ?
c) will it get worse ? (with age / running / rest etc)
d) would xray / MRI indicate anything ?

It is most probably due to degeneration of the articulate surface of the knee. Loose tissue inside the knee causes the locking effect. You will have to consult an orthopaedic surgeon for an examination, MRI and artroscopy. With surgery, the problem can be addressed very effectively.