Posted by: Amanda | 2009-06-25

Knee arthroscopy

I had a knee arthroscopy done on the 21st of May 2009, so it' s almost a month and a week now. The surgeon couldn' t find broken cartilage but he did found a thickening of the lining (sinovium) which he cut away.

I can walk fairly normal and without pain after a month and a week, but climbing stairs up and down is still painful, also I cannot bend my knee too much without pain or play squash or tennis yet. I go to the gym twice a week to cycle which is also painful.

My question is: is my progress normal? Am I becoming too impatient too quickly? My surgeon gave me 3 exercises I have to do at home, is this really necessary?

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Amanda
Yes, you are probably a little impatient and are asking too much of your knee! Cycling also puts quite a lot of strain on your knees and you should first do the exercises your doctor gave you- I think he is probably the one that knows best!

Posted by: Mervyn Hunt | 2009-08-10

Be patient it takes awhile. I am 66 and back walking and hiking without a problem.

Reply to Mervyn Hunt