Question
Posted by: liezel | 2011/02/01

knee and kineso tape

Good day Dr,

Due to previous knee operation that was not done correctly  I did under go another knee operation( chondroplasty procedure).

I am still in my rehab phase...

From time to time my other knee also starts to pain(form all the impact ect). Feels like inflammation in knee. As soon as I support the knee  I can feel the pain relieve

My question: can Kinesio tape help for the pain relieve?
Can only a physio or Bio apply the tape?

Kind regards

Hi Liezel

Any tape does seem to help, yes. Kinesio did a really good job of marketing themselves as the "only" one, but the truth is that they all do a similar job. So Kinesio might help you. I won't go into the details of how it works (because no one really knows, it's probably related to helping you "sense" the strapping and hence the joint), and there is some debate as to whether it's a mind thing more than physiology.

I think the more relevant issue is whether you can actually sort out the problem rather than just taping over it, literally and figuratively. You did say you were in rehab - perhaps they need to assess that other side, and give you some exercise that will help strengthen it. At the very least, you need to reduce impact until it is 'stable'. If you're seeing someone already, this is an important part of the rehab for the injured knee, and will help the other knee too.

2
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2011/02/10

Hi Liezel

Reply to fitnessdoc
Posted by: PVS | 2011/02/03

The tape would assist in movement and support depends what is causing your pain whether it would help or not.

Reply to PVS