Question
Posted by: Pria | 2012/07/30

Klepto &  Drug Abuse

I am in desperate need of help for my mother. My mother has a history of a series of psychological problems. It has started with bulima, anorexia and then progressed to depression. this started about 30 years ago. Since then she has developed many more problems.

She has a problem with kelptomania and it has gotten progressively worse of the years. My mother has been to many private psychologists and we have no success in rehabilitating her. Her situation has steadily decreased and we are at the point where she is a danger to herself.

We need some expert advice on how to proceed. My mother has appeared in court where the judge did give her a warning of her theft problem and we now have a situation where it has happened again. It seems nothing we do to remedy the situation is working.

Please assist us as we are not sure whether my mother needs to placed into a mental facility as we are unable to provide her the 24hour care which she now requires as she is very mentally unstable.

Please advise how we proceed wiht this situation. We do not have enough funds to send my mother to private facilities and do not know where to turn to get her the help she needs before she kills herself.

As usual with psych problems ( but indeed equally with physical problems ) there's not much that can be done to help someone who does not want to be helped, until they sincerely recofgnize that there IS a problem, that it DOES need help, and that it is their responsibility to get and work with, this help.
Its relatively unusual, and alarming, that your mother seems to have developed so many partly different psych problems over the years. But it really doesnt sound as though she cared enough to work properly with whichever shrinks were trying to care for her, to get anywhere with such periods of treatment.
And the problems interact - the drug abuse would preent treatment for any other condition from being properly efefctive, for instance.
As she is now in trouble with the law, this might be useful to an extent, and should be discussed with her lawyer - the court might be able to sentence her to a form of probation, requiring her to get into and remain in, proper psych treatment to clear up her problems, with the alternative of prison if she failed to cooperate with this.
It isn't fair of her to expect you to provide 24-hour care for what is to an important extent, a set of voluntary problemsm such as addiction, which she must grapple with herself with appropriate assistance.
Search online and read up about Tough Love. There is, truly, nothing YOU can do to solve her problems. SHE must do it, and you can help that. Though public facilities are often inadequate, and this is an area of healthcare where the state disgracefully ignores the requirements of the constitution, she could be effectively treated in state facilities, and she could potentially be sent for compulsory care, and sometimes the relative unpleasantness and strictness of such facilities can provide a motivation to work harder to improve so as to be able to leave under her own steam

1