Question
Posted by: CP | 2009-07-06

KJs in Fresh Dates

HI Diet Doc
I love the fresh dates from Woolworths - the nutritional info on the pack says per 100g there are 607kj, 30g carbs, 0.1g fat. Does this seem realistic to you or are the kj too low for such fruit, which I presume is quite high in sugar? How many fresh dates are considered 1 portion and are they a healthy snack option if trying to lose 3kgs? Thank you!

Dear CP
I too am very fond of fresh dates and am so glad that they are now more readily available in our shops and supermarkets. The energy value of 607 kJ/100g sounds realistic to me because according to the SA Food Tables, dried dates contain 1151 kJ/100g. The fresh dates have a higher water content, which will make their energy content lower. I would regard 3 medium-sized and 2 of the large dates as 1 portion (about 30g). Dates are indeed healthy in the sense that they are rich in dietary fibre and ensure regularity. Because a 30g portion provides 182 kJ which only represents 2,9% of your daily energy intake when slimming, you can probably have a 30g portion once a day.