Question
Posted by: jA | 2010/09/15

Kitty

Hi Prof,

You are fond of cats ... so wondering if you could give me advice.

I decided to get a cat a few years ago. She is a nervous little thing. The people who had her was very loving but there were just too many other animals. She pulled out all her hair on her stomach etc.

So, she came to me and I''m a single woman - not too many visitors and no noise etc (I tend to isolate). All her hair grew back and she became a very contented kitty.

Unfortunately I have money issues at the moment (huge overdraft), so had to move somewhere else for a few months. A really lovely couple agreed to foster kitty. They have a two year old baby, a teanage daughter and another cat. Kitty has been doing well, but I went to visit her on Sunday and see her hair is gone again.

This is a great concern for me. I will have to move back to my flat so that she can have her peace again I think. And I will just have to manage my debt and overdraft a different way.

The cat seems to rule my life - and even though another 6 months at the current cheaper place will help tremendously I really want her to be happy too.

So not sure what I''m asking but all I can say is I am a very emotional person and need to look after kitty welll.

Anyway..

Is there perhaps a vet amongst our H24 experts ?
You're probably right in guessing that removing that patch of hair is her way of saying she feels upset, but it's not necessarily a sign of her being seriouly disturbed to the point that you should change your financial plans. They're generally adaptable creatures, and she should settle down in time. I admire your concern about lookin after the cat ( and I'm sure the cat helps usefully to look after you ) but if moving back to your place sooner than planned puts you under greater financial strain, that in itself isn't necessarily beneficial for the cat. Maybe discuss with the foster family how she is adjusting and explain the significance of this sign - maybe they could make some adjustments towards settling her more. And tummy hair fortunately does seem to grow back fine

1