Question
Posted by: Natasha | 2008/09/01

Kittens eating Adult Hills

Hello
My three 9 month old kittens have decided that they are refusing to eat their Hills Kitten pellets, and are hapily eating the Adult Hills pellets that I give my 3 big cats.
My vet keeps telling me that it is very bad for the babies to be eating the adult food, and that I should lock them in seperate areas in my house (all my cats are indoor cats - and in their cattery) so they all get the correct food, but the kittens have their own ideas...........please tell me is it really so bad if they eat the adult food ????
All 3 of them were spayed at 6 months and are healthy (slightly podgy) cats with plenty of energy.
It is only a few months until they are on the adult food anyway so what is the difference. I am wasting money buying the kitten food as it just stays there and goes stale anyway.
Cybervet what do you think ?

Dear Natasha

If our cats are 9 months old and not on the thin side its fine to feed them on adult food. The growth phase is nearly finished and being on Hills adult is OK.

3
Posted by: Shadow | 2008/09/03

I have the reverse problem - my 2 big fat cats raid the kittens'  dish for the Hill' s Kitten!

Reply to Shadow
Posted by: Sheryl | 2008/09/01

Maybe you could try a different kitten food eg
Royal Canin.

Reply to Sheryl
Posted by: Lia | 2008/09/01

Hi N,

Had the same problem and my vet suggested that all my cats (adult and kitten) be put on the kitten diet until the kittens are 12 months old. The adults will gain weight as the food is rich in nutrition and fat, but at least the kittens get their correct nutrition. Not sure if this will help, but if there is no adult food, the kittens will eat what they get. My kitties are now on adult and the adult cats have lost a bit of flab since being back on their correct food.

Hope this helps.

L

Reply to Lia