Question
Posted by: lisa | 2008/10/18

kittens

hi

The kittens i have are between 4 and 5 weeks old. The mothers are only 6 months old and the one that feeds all hers and the other mommy' s kittens is very thin. The other mommy does occasionally feed, but only for max 5 mins. I decided to let the kittens go to their new homes already because of the mommy being so thin and she doesnt eat alot and the other mommy keeps attacking her - but all the kittens are eating dry food already (for about a week now) and running around. Was it okay to let the kittens go already?

Dear Lisa

They will survive if you let them go now but I pefer kitten to leave when they are 8 weeks old. They adjust a lot better and are less at risk at that age. I would worm the mom and feed her a very good quality kitten food. You can also supplement the diet with kitten milk.

4
Posted by: lisa | 2008/10/18

well someone has to help give strays a home, and im one of those people. i love ALL the cats i currently have, and wish i didnt have to give them away etc etc, but there are other animals out there that need help and a home until they find a forever family. if these kittens werent taken in they would still be in the township - so chosing that or sending them away at 5 weeks of age - i would choose the 2nd option. as long as i know they are eating and healthy by keeping in contact with the people who have taken the kittens - (they had to fill in a whole adoption form with all their personal info) then i am fine - even though i still feel bad. i cant find it in my heart to keep 2 of the kittens for myself and all the others have homes and the mommy' s dont, that i have even adopted the mommy' s - else as usual, they will end up back in the township.

Reply to lisa
Posted by: Carol | 2008/10/18

:( .. I have been in the same boat so many times , but my house is large , so I can seperate ....

To many strays ....

Reply to Carol
Posted by: lisa | 2008/10/18

yes they are going to be spayed as soon as all the kittens have left. so far only one has. they were rescued with their babies from the township.
the mother has already been to the vet and so have the babies and everything is fine, have been de-wormed etc etc. unfortunately at the moment with my house as a foster care i just dont have space to really seperate and no-one else was willing to take the mommy' s and babies.

Reply to lisa
Posted by: Carol | 2008/10/18

No.... could you not have kept the mommy cat confined with her babies away from the other one?
Kittens that age still need their mothers and learn valuable social skills with their siblings.

Mother could should have gone to the vet for a check up to see why she was eating poorly , and the kittens could have had kitten milk supplement which they still nees at that age.

Alternativly , the mommy cat who was feeding the whole tribe could simply have been given supplemetary feeding.

I hope these two " kittens"  that have had kittens are now going to be spayed ?

Reply to Carol