Posted by: S-S | 2009-02-17

Kitten - hole in palate

Dear CV

A kitten about 4 months old caught and brought to the vet as he was injured. He had a hole in his face and a hole in his palate. The cause was unknown. The vet sutured the hole in the face and the palate but the stitches in the palate did not hold. This has subsequently caused him to have teary eyes and a nasal discharge. Recently this became infected and he received Echinacea, after 2 weeks, no improvement, and it seemed as if it was getting worse... Then the vet gave an antibiotic and an operation was scheduled for him to try and close the hole in the palate again...
He will be going for a check-up on Thursday to see if the operation was successful. In your experience, have you ever come across something similar? And what sort of success rate does this sort of thing have? I am aware that the possibility exists that it may be a chronic condition

I will ask the vet on Thursday, but I' m just curious what your thoughts and experiences are?

Dear S-S

Very difficult to comment as these cases are rare and each treated in different ways.