Question
Posted by: Kelly | 2012-05-21

kitten gastro virus

I got a kitten and she seemed healthy, at first her stomach became runny, we thought it was the change in diet, then she started vomiting and wouldn''t eat. The vet said she had a gastro virus and that kittens seldomly survived it, it was in her intestines. He gave antibiotics which I gave her for nearly two days, she wouldn''t eat so i gave her chicken soup with the injector i also used for the medicine. It was very painful watching her die, which she eventually did. The place I got her from told me their whole catterie got sick, and the vet also told me its contagious.

I''m worried about the virus being in my house now. The kitten was all over everything, it would be a mission disinfecting everything. The place I got her says its not that kind of virus, even if I got a new cat immediatly it would be safe. The vet said to wait a while, a month would be fine. I would eventually want a new cat, although now I''m still too sad, but I cant go through this again, how do I now if my house is safe? Also do I need to worry about my dogs and the baby? Can virusses like this be transferred inter-species?

Hi Kelly

Please go on your vets advise and postpone getting a kitten for 1-2 months. The virus can persist in the environment and the longer you leave the environment kitten free, the better. Please ensure that if you are to get another kitten that the kitten is vaccinated and dewormed at least 2 weeks prior to you taking it. There is no concern for the baby.

Kind regards

Angus Campbell

2
Posted by: CyberVet | 2012-05-28

Hi Kelly

Kind regards

Angus Campbell

Reply to CyberVet
Posted by: Estelle | 2012-05-23

Cats can carry diseases over to human beings - better disinfect everything! You can google which diseases get carried over interspecies - e.g. cat tuberculosis and some intestinal diseases. Rather disinfect before the baby gets sick. Cats/dogs can also infect one another.
That being said, some gastrointestinal diseases are only harmful to kittens. My kitten had bloody diarrhea for two weeks...we kept him hydrated, fed him a bland diet with mashed pumpkin (settles the stomach) and he pulled through. If your vet took a stool sample he would know if its contagious - always insist on this

Reply to Estelle