Posted by: Angie | 2009-06-03

Kitten - Feeding, immunizations &  discipline

We recently got a kitten from our pet store. At that time the pet store owner said she is about 6 to 7 weeks old. We have had her for a month now, so she should be anywhere between 3 to 4 months. I am taking her to the vet this weekend for a check up &  any shots she may need. The pet store owner dewormed her before we got her.

What are the necessary shots/meds needed by the kitten &  at what ages? Can I give her Bob Martin Kitten tablets? She is currently eating Whiskas. Is this brand of food okay or should we get something else?

Our kitten seems very affectionate. She licks my hands constantly &  has been touching her nose to my face. Whilst she is so sweet, I really don' t know how to discipline her.

She wants to eat off our plates &  will beg for something when you' re eating. When we sit at the dining room table, she jumps onto our laps &  tries to get up on the table. I tried to put her off by giving her brocolli &  cauliflower, but she even ate that. Is there something missing in her diet? How can I stop her from doing this? How does one discipline a cat?

She hasn' t been out of the house as yet. When can I take her out? Also at what age can I have her spayed.

Sorry for all the questions. I am going to the vet this weekend, but would like some advice beforehand. And it doesn' t hurt to get advise from more than one person

Dear Angie

For general advice and questions it is better to buy a book or do internet reseach yourself. I am slow at typing and will take at least a week to duplicate a book for you on this site.

Posted by: Angie | 2009-06-04

Hi Kitten,

I must say she is such a drama queen. You should see her begging when we are eating. She even loves ice cream. but i know we shouldn' t be giving her. We have just been giving in to her pleas.

I must say I really adore her. My hubby is also taking to her. She follows us both around the house. I just hear her little bell tinkling as she follows me around. When she' s quiete, I call her &  she comes to find me. I don' t think she knows her name, she just follows my voice.

But she is certainly a busy body &  loves playing hide and seek.

As you can tell, I am really fascinated with her.

Reply to Angie
Posted by: Kitten | 2009-06-04

It seems that you are very much in love with your kitten - which makes is even more difficult to discipline her. Spraybottle works best. She sounds like a real little dramaqueen.

Reply to Kitten
Posted by: Carol | 2009-06-03

She will be dewormed again , im not sure of the shots flu etc.

She can be spayed at 6 months and she can start going outside now,but just keep and eye on her , one she knows where the door is she will be fine.

As far as the begging is concerned dont feed her any table scraps at all , rather confine her or feed her when you are eating.

Disciplining a cat is almost impossible, a spray bottle can be used to stop them from scratching their claws on furniture or playing on counters where they shouldnt but thats about it.

Always remember " dogs have owners"  " cats have staff"  :) enjoy your kitty

Reply to Carol