Posted by: Katy | 2009-02-05

Kitten drooling

My kitten has started to teethe and is very wet around the mouth area. I suspect it' s drool. His breath is also not very pleasant. I have noticed an abcess on his gum where the tooth is pushing through. WIll the abcess heal on its own once the tooth is out?
Is there anything I can give him to help soothe the gums?

Dear Katy

The bets way to get teething out of the way is to get them something to chew on and the gums will sort itself out. Try a pig's ear.

Posted by: Chill | 2009-02-05

An abscess is an infection - I doubt the kitten has one, it' s just that the gum has to be pierced in order to let the new tooth through.

In my limited kitten experience, I' ve not noticed any having a particularly hard time teething, so if yours seems unhappy or that smell is bad, maybe your vet should take a look.

Reply to Chill