Question
Posted by: hasmita | 2009/01/29

Kitten: Diarrhoea for past month

we already have a 6 month old kitten, but we got another kitten from a petshop about a month ago.

when we got him he had a runny tummy.the petshop lady told us she was aware of this and her vet tested a stool and said he was perfectly healthy. she gave us her vets number to phone.

we then took him to our vet for first innoculation and she gave us hills prescription food and an antibiotic and said it would help- his poo was solid for a few days, as soon as we reverted back to normal food he had a runny tummy.

since then we have been mixing the prescription food with normal food, but everytime we increase or decrease the amount of prescription food both cats vomit. the bigger kitten is fine but the new one has had a runny tummy constantly since we got him. occasionally there is blood in his stool. we took him to the vet about 2 weeks ago and she tested his stool sample- found nothing. she said he is completely healthy

yesterday the bigger cat also had diarrheoa and vomited all her food out, along with some salive mixed with blood after that.

i really dont know what to do now. all the trips to the vet are getting so expensive.

please please help

Dear Hasmita

Carol is on the right track with protexin. Use it for a couple of months.

6
Posted by: Aniska | 2009/06/04

My cat has been vomiting and have had diarrea since friday. He use to be on Purina but i have changed him to Whiskas. He has been on it for about 2 months now and he always at the seafood flavor. I however changed him from seafood to chicken. He is not " pap"  but everytime he eats then he seems to vomit. He has been having a runny tummy too and it seems that it happens after he eats. Please could you tell me what you think it could be as i am really worried about him.

Reply to Aniska
Posted by: Gogga | 2009/02/01

I feed my adult cats Hills but I haven' t had much luck with kittens on Hills either. Royal Canin Babycat pellets better for young kittens until 4 months or so. You get that at a vet shop too.
Protexin powder is a good idea.
No milk!

Also check that you rinse their bowls very well after washing. There could be traces of dishwashing liquid on them.

Reply to Gogga
Posted by: Carol | 2009/01/30

Keep then on the Hills ID and the protexin you get at the vet ... its cheap about R40.00.

Oh and dont give them any scraps or milk .... nothing no matter how sweetly they ask you:)

Reply to Carol
Posted by: hasmita | 2009/01/30

thanks alot, we were using hills prescription ID (soft food) and they both were okay. however, that is R15 a tin. so the vet gave us prescription ID (pellets) and told us to gradually mix normal food in with that. however, the cats keep vomiting everytime we change the food. we are now feeding both of them normal hills.

where do i get protexin?

Reply to hasmita
Posted by: hasmita | 2009/01/30

where do i get protexin?

Reply to hasmita
Posted by: Carol | 2009/01/29

If his stool isnt showing signs of giardia or other nunu' s then I would suggest food allergies.

Have you tried the Hills ID for sensitive tummies ? or is that what you have been using?

Use it excusivly and get the protexin for cats and give then each a 1/2 tsp each daily .Protexin is a probiotic that CV advised me to use that has worked like magic with my little boy who had a similar problem to yours.

Reply to Carol