Posted by: Smilla | 2009-04-15

Kitten bathing

I have two female kittens, 8 weeks old. We have a big problem with their ... uhm ... anal hygiene. They don' t seem to know how to wash their bums and they smell. We have had to bathe them 3 times in the last 3 weeks due to the smell. Will they start cleaning themselves in that area later on or what should I do?

Dear Smilla

I hope they will get the hang of cleaning themselves. Are the faeces solid?

Posted by: Gogga | 2009-04-16

8 weeks is very young, their mother would still wash their behinds. they' ll learn to wash their behinds but in the meantime you can wipe them with damp cottonwool after they' ve used the litterbox. not necessary to bathe the whole kitten unless they have diarrhea and soiled their legs, tails, etc.

Reply to Gogga
Posted by: Smilla | 2009-04-16

Yes it is. They use the sandbox. Should we continue with the bathing?

Reply to Smilla