Question
Posted by: Danny | 2013-01-11

Kitchen fight

I have the priviledge of being owned by a GSD, Siberian Husky and 2 bull terriers, all males and one spayed female Husky. My GSD and one of the Bull terriers were raised as puppies together and the Bully is very laid back. The GSD is continiously bullying the Bully (no pun intended). The Bull terrier only fights back if the GSD pulls him to the ground, but the latest spat resulted in the GSD eventually ending up on the ground - the Husky male decided to lend a paw to the Bully. So now I have a GSD who lost a fight, and does not take kindly to it and a Bull Terrier who is fed up with the GSD and will probably eventually end up tearing the GSD to shreds. I want to avoid this at all costs. All my animals share the house with us (we live on a farm and they are the security system). The GSD is mine, as is this particular bull terrier, the Huskies and other Bully is my Husband''s. Both my dogs receive equal attention. GSD has been trained - but he tends to file " manners"  and " training"  in file 13.... Please advise on how I address this situation with these two hounds.

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Danny, great to hear from you. what I would suggest is that you put in very firm House Rules which will make all the dogs feel more secure and will show them that you and the family are top of the social structure and what you will and will not accept. I have put a link to this below.
Additionally a situation such as this needs to have some professional in-house help to show you exactly how to handle the behaviour. Doing it on a forum like this is not the best way. Can you let me know where you stay and I will try and find somebody that can assist, or else will put you in touch with a behaviourist that does email consults?
The link to get you started which you will need anyway is below. Thanks and looking forward to hearing from you. S
http://www.friendsofthedog.co.za/house-rules-for-puppies.html