Question
Posted by: Spicy101 | 2009-04-28

Kilojule intake

Good day

Please tell me what should one look out for on food lables the kilojules intake or fat intake.

I am 33 years old, still sitting with baby fat and I need to lose in total 10 kgs, how many kj should I take in per day. Im 1.53m. Im not sure how this works, please if you can explain,

I am most grateful for your help

Dear Spicy101
It is actually a good idea to check both the kJ and the fat contents of foods. To lose weight it is important to limit one's fat and energy intake. Generally speaking foods that contain 3g of fat per serving or less are regarded as "low in fat" and suitable for slimming purposes. Adult women who want to lose weight are encouraged not to ingest more than 6300 kJ per day. For an example of a low-energy, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet'). If you combine this diet with a 30 min of exercise a day (swimming, cycling, skipping, jogging, brisk walking, etc) then you should lose weight. If you are 1.53 m tall and want an ideal BMI of 22, then you would need to weigh 46 kg. To get back into the normal range with a BMI of 25 you would need to weigh 57 kg.
Hope this helps