Question
Posted by: cj | 2012/07/31

kilojoules i should eat per day

Dear diet doc

I have begun a diet that focuses on a having a balanced diet and restricting my kilojoule intake.

I am 163cm tall and weigh about 59kg now. My goal weight is 53kgs. I do light to moderate exercise, trying to get to gym at least 3 times per week where i either run on a treadmill for 20mins, step machine for 10 mins and light weights for 15 mins or else i do an hour long yoga, pilates or cardio and toning class.

How many kilojoules should I be keeping to per day in order to lose 0,5-1 kilogram per week?

Thank you :)

Dear CJ
I must admit that I cannot understand why you should want to lose any more weight? Your BMI = 22.2 at the moment which is regarded as ideal for an adult woman. If you do force your body to lose even more weight down to 53 kg, your BMI will equal 19,9 which is in the underweight range tending towards anorexia. I would rather suggest that you do your exercises to firm your muscles and sculp what must already be an excellent figure. In general adult women who need to maintain their weight should ingest 8400 kJ per day, and those that wish to lose weight would need 6300 kJ per day. Don't endanger your health by losing too much weight so that you have no reserves left.
Take care

2
Posted by: Charles | 2012/08/01

I am a male at age 43 and my height is 1,783 m and I do an exercise routine 3-4 times a week that involves weights as well as resistant elastic bands and weigh 98 kg at present, however growing back into shape as I was into bodybuilding before.
I would like to cut down all fat in order for my fat percentage could come down to 10% at least and then maintain this by eating healthy + not letting it get out of hand again.
What would my kilojoul intake have to be to loose fat and gain muscle at the same time for a goal weight of 90 kg.

Reply to Charles

Dear CJ
Take care