Question
Posted by: Dave Davidson | 2010/07/07

Kilojoules

I have checked that chicken fillet is +- 420 kilojoules per 100g. When it is cooked though the 100g only weighs +- 55g. So when do I weigh it to add up my kilojoules?

Dear Dave
Raw foods usually contain a high percentage of water, some of which is lost during cooking. If the energy listed, is for raw chicken then you use the same value for the cooked chicken because the food will still contain the same energy if it raw or cooked. If the 420 kJ/100g applies to cooked chicken then you would calculate the energy value as: 55/100 x 420 = 231 kJ. The SA Food Tables do not list the energy value of raw chicken. but if we take goat meat as an example, raw goat meat is listed as having a moisture content of 75.8% and an energy value of 436 kJ/100g, but when the goat meat is roasted it contain 68.2% moisture and has an energy value of 572. In this case a 55 g portion of roasted goat meat would contain 55/100 x 572 = 315 kJ.
I hope this helps

1

Dear Dave
I hope this helps