Question
Posted by: Wannabe | 2009-07-18

Kilojoule intake

Hey doc.

I wanted to lose weight, so I started out my own diet consuming plus minus 4240 kilojoules a day and having five meals a day. At first it went well and I lost quite a bit, then in the third week I was barely losing any weight. So then I cut back on 500 kj. Wich helped a little, but only up to a point. So I cut back on another 1500kj. So I was eating 2240 kj a day wich worked well and I started losing weight again. Though now it has slowed AGAIN. What should I do? I can' t cut back anymore, and at the moment I' m already left still wanting a bit more food at the end of the day. Also, I' m scared that if I eat more again, I will just gain everything back.

Please advise

Dear Wannabe
I am worried that if you only ingest 2240 kJ per day (533 kcal/day) that you are close to starvation! You actually started off at too low a level. Basically adult women (?) should still have 6300 kJ per day and adult men 8400 kJ per day when they are slimming. By constantly reducing you energy intake you are sending a signal to your body that starvation is setting in, so the body conserves all its energy and stops losing weight! To lose weight sensibly you should have at least the above mentioned energy intake per day obtained from a low-fat, balanced diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet). To stimulate your metabolism and promote weightloss try increasing your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life) of 30 min a day. This should result in a loss of between 1 to 0,5 kg per week, so that you lose slowly and steadily and don't regain the weight you have lost.
Take care

1
Posted by: Wannabe | 2009-07-18

Sorry doc, I forgot to mention, I am 1.65m tall and currently weigh 62kg. I want to weigh 55kg. Is this realistic?

Reply to Wannabe