Posted by: Shorty | 2009-03-10

Kilo Joules

Hi there,
I am trying to loose my pregnancy weight. How many kJ should i be having a day for my lenght? I am 153 cm and weigh 57 kg. I would like to weigh 50kg. According to the internet i should be having around 7000kJ per day, but that is a lot! And i am very short....

Dear Shorty
Congratulations on the birth of your baby. Your BMI = 24,4 at the moment and it would be a good idea to try and lose about 6 kg to get back to a BMI of 22. Generally speaking adult women require about 6300 kJ per day to lose weight. Reduce your energy intake by eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increasing your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life), for 30 min a day.