Question
Posted by: Nolan | 2012/01/19

Kili

I am climbing Kilimanjaro soon and have heard from others that getting a good sleep is key. A climber who did Kili told me that she took a mild sleeping tablet at night. I read on a website that one should not take sleeping tabs during the climb. Are sleeping tabs not recommended? What about a half of a mild one like Azole (I think its called that)? Thank you.

Expert ImageSleep Expert

You need to direct this question to a pulmonologist (lung specialist). It has to do with the partial pressure of oxygen at altitude, and the suppressing effect on breathing that some of the sleeping tablets have.