Posted by: Johan | 2009-09-01

Kids in the Gym

Any problems with kids (13 years) training with weights in Gym?
Some say: "  Young kids growth will slow down or stop if training with weights or bulking. Is this true?

HI Johan

No, not necessarily. To me, the bigger issue is whether their being at the gym is going to take the place of some other kind of training, which may be more beneficial. 13 is young to be in the gym, yes, but it's not like it's going to stunt growth, unless the training is massively excessive. It's unlikely that it would be, provided they train properly. The key to the weight training is that they must use good technique, because they are still developing and if you use the wrong technique, the risk of injury is higher. That is the bigger danger - injury from wrong training.

But, as I said upfront, given the choice between training in the gym, and being on the field playing sport, I'd go for the sport 100% of the time.