Question
Posted by: LJM | 2011/03/30

Kids Counsellor

I am an uncle of 3 kids, who in my view need some counselling as well as their parents. These kids lie, steal and generally are becoming a nightmare. The whole family stays with us and have done so for 18 months as they don''t have much money and had nowhere to live. So we opened house and hearts. But lately myself and wife are starting to get more and more irritated and annoyed. The parents don''t have control over the kids and we see that there are some problems, girl of 6 still wetting bed everynight or has to be still woken. A boy around 8 with mentality of a 3 year old and seems to be always aggressive or down. And another girl of 3 which seems the most normal but still forever through temper tantrums.

Where can I take these kids for counselling that is not expensive or is free. I am in durban area. I just want them to be assessed to see that they are truely ok or if something is or has gone on that is bugging them and causing their frustrations and behaviours.

Can some-one please advise.

If they wish to enjoy the privilege of living in your home, they ALL must meet with your requirements. And that requires these feckless parents ( they sound utterly lacking in feck ) to try parenting properly, including consistent discipline, rules, consequences and affection. I wonder if child welfare could help get the kids properly assessed ? Check also on what may be available through the state health clinics & hospitals.

2
Posted by: Maria | 2011/03/30

It is highly likely that the kids'' issues are caused by a lack of consistent parenting. You can counsel the kids but unless the parents give lots of love, attention and consistent discipline, nothing will change. Do the parents acknowledge that there is a problem?

Reply to Maria