Posted by: SJ | 2012-03-01

Kidneys maybe?

I had a problem with my kidneys when i was a baby which caused some damage, as a result there is always blood present in my urine. Last year i fell pregnant and the blood in my urine increased from 1+ to 3+ , 2 weeks before i gave birth i had to go on bed rest as the swelling in my hands, face, feet and ankles was quite extreme. after the birth of my baby the doctor said that he thinks my kidneys took a bit of strain but did not do anything further (no tests or anything)

I have now come back to work and im worried that i might now have a problem with my kidneys. I only urinate 2 or 3 times a day, my ankles, feet and legs keep swelling and i keep getting cramps in my shoulders, calf muscles and the muscles under my arms. The cramps are quite extreme and very very painful. I also have a lot of headaches. I drink quite a bit of water about 2 - 3 litres a day but still only pee 2 or 3 times a day. i am also exhausted most of the time.

What do you suggest?

It is important to consult a doctor for an examination, blood tests and a 24 hour urine analysis. There are many possible causes for your symptoms but it is imperative to exclude renal failure.