Question
Posted by: Jane | 2011/02/02

Kidneys

Hi doc,

I am a 31 year old woman. In the past 4 months, I have developed quite a bit of acne during the month, not only during menstruation time.
I also have a tendency to retain water - also during the past 4 months. I put them both down to having a bit of a hormonal problem, but now I''m not so sure anymore.
I have been using no contraception for 3 years already and can''t seem to conceive. This however, is not why I''m writing.
I have also been getting sharp stab like pains that don''t last more than 2 seconds, in my lower back for a couple of months now. It feels like it''s where my kidneys are?
Somehow I''m starting to wonder if my water retention, acne and sharp pains aren''t all related to my kidneys.
Do you think I need to worry about my kidneys or could it be something else?

Hi Jane
You may have high androgen levels, and I think that you should see a gynecologist for an examination of the ovaries, urine test and blood tests for hormonal levels.

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2011/02/02

Hi Jane