Posted by: wilma | 2010-03-20

As a young child I had severe nephritis caused by a strep throat, resulting in a month''s hospitalisation. This was followed by years of penicillin dosage. However my kidneys have behaved all my life until now, at 58, they seem not to be functioning well. I have suddenly developed gout, frequently have a burning prickling feel in my mouth and on my skin, have a mild headache most of the time, get pain in one or both kidneys for short periods of time every few day, often have smelly urine, often feel stiff and sore. Is this what it feels like to have poorly functioning kidneys? I would like to preserve my kidneys for as long as possible. I eat a balanced diet low in red meat and other purine-producing foods, and with no alcohol. I want to know whether I should see a nephrologist and what I can do to save my kidneys.

You will definately have to consult a nephrologist, in order to have your kidney function monitored, as you are experiencing symptoms of kidney disease.

Good luck.