Question
Posted by: sally | 2008/10/07

kidneys?

from time to time during the past say 10 years I have had what can only be kidney pain. I went to doctor once and there was a small infection, but other times I grin and bear it, drink lots of water, maybe take vogel' s bladder irritation drops and it passes within a week. I also get a sore pain in my hip bone which I assume is arthritis and I drink lots of water, take calmag and if necessary voltaren for the pain and this also passes. Both these things seem to come and go at will and I just want to know whether you think I am neglecting something more serious, say cancer. Neither of these things have other symptoms, except that sometimes I get a bit of diarrhoea AFTER the kidney pain subsides.

Hi Sally
You should at least have a urine test ( and a sample sent to the lab) with the next episode and it may be good to have a sonar of the kidneys to see if they are normal size and shape and if you have signs of any obstruction. I would also do a x/ray of the abdomen and hip ( you will see kidney stones on the x/ray and whether there is arthritic signs in the joint)