Question
Posted by: july | 2008/07/08

kidneys?

How would you diagnose this? Sudden onset: Somewhat dizzy and nauseous, mild pain in kidney area, tender bladder on pressure, strip shows trace of infection, no leucocytes, trace of blood, some ketones. The locum I consulted took me at my word that I felt it was a urinary infection and prescribed 5 days penicillin for which I am grateful. However the locum failed to explain the ketones and blood. I have not been on a slimming diet and do not take any diabetes medication.As far as I know I am not diabetic. Can you explain the ketones and blood? DO I need to keep an eye on this?

Hi July
Blood in the urine can be due to infection or sometimes happen after severe exercise. Ketones means that your blood sugar at that point may have been low, maybe due to being nauseous and not eating properly? Just follow up with another urine test after completing the antibiotics.