Question
Posted by: linda | 2011-01-12

kidney stones

hi dr. i''d like some advice for my hubby, he''s not listening to me, but if i give him yr advice, he''ll hopefully listen. Ken is 52, is a Food &  Bev manager. he often works 12 hrs a day, and goes long periods without eating or DRINKING ANYTHING!! Last week he had 2x kidney stone passing episodes, and bladder infection which was treated with antibiotics. his diet has not changed much at all recently, however i think his intake of fluids is minimal, and he''s literally on his feet for 12 hours if not longer and sweats quite a bit as well. He has a large area to cover and walks a-lot. Do you think this sudden kidney episode will improve if he improves his intake of water/juice? How can i put it to him - i''ve told him the average person should have 8 glasses of water per day - he has 1?? please help - and thank you. kind regards, linda.

Hallo Linda
Sounds like my dad - he says he'll rust if he drinks water! A kidney stone is usually painful enough to motivate a person to take in more fluids but you are correct, one needs at least 8 glasses of fluid per day. If he does not like water, he can drink tea, iced tea, diluted fruit juice or flavoured water but not too much coffee/redbull (too much caffeine) or Coke/ other carbonated drinks due to high salt intake. It is a habit one needs to develop and it is easy to forget if you are busy. It may help to put a 1 litre bottle of water on your desk to remind you to take a sip now and then and try to finish it by midday and repeat for the afternoon.

2
Posted by: linda | 2011-01-13

gee, thanks so much for this, i hope he''ll listen to you. i had NO IDEA THAT carbonated colddrinks have a high salt content. if ken does drink something, that''s prob what it will be, so that''s no good either. THANKS VERY MUCH, I appreciate your help. keep well!

Reply to linda
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2011-01-12

Hallo Linda